Trnava: Slovakia’s “Little Rome” has a great history

16. Feb 2022 at 12:00 I Quality content

Trnava was the religious and cultural center of the Hungarian kingdom for almost 300 years.

Font size:A|A+

This article was prepared for an edition of the Spectacular travel guide to Slovakiaand was published in the travel guide Slovakia.

A helping hand in the heart of Europe offers you a Slovakia travel guide.

Western Slovakia is rich in history, culture, architecture, cuisine and language. Trnava, the center of the district and region of the same name, is an excellent example.

The article continues after the video ad

The article continues after the video ad

Trnava was the first city in the region of present-day Slovakia to be granted the privileges of a free royal city, which the Hungarian king Béla IV granted in 1238. In 1543, when the Ottomans invaded Esztergom, the Archbishop of Esztergom and his office moved to Trnava and the city became the religious and cultural center of the Hungarian Kingdom for almost 300 years. This contributed greatly to the development of the city and even today Trnava is called Little Rome.

Cardinal Peter Pázmány founded the University of Trnava there, which moved to Buda in 1777, but by the end of the 18th century the city had become a center for Catholic intellectuals who promoted the national awakening of Slovaks. Along with other major cities in the region, Trnava benefited from its position on a major trade route, which also gave it a multicultural character. After the Archbishop’s return to Esztergom, the town’s importance declined, although it experienced another boom later with the growth of industry.

The first horse-drawn railway in the empire was the Bratislava-Trnava line, launched in 1846. During this time the industry continued to develop, the most recent big arrival being the French automobile manufacturer PSA Peugeot Citröen (today Stellantis Slovakia), which built a technologically advanced network. factory, attracting many subcontractors to the region.

Main Street and Trinity Square (Hlavná ulica, Trojičné námestie)

The main street and Trinity Square have marked the center of the city for centuries.

Main Street connected the Lower Town Gate to the south and the Upper Town Gate to the north. It is lined with beautiful historic houses, including the town hall, rebuilt in the classical style, as well as Renaissance buildings and the Church of Saint Helena. The part of the street that crosses the pedestrian zone offers lively shops, cafes and restaurants, and joins the square dominated by the city tower.

Other major features include the Baroque Holy Trinity Column, the theater by Ján Palárik and the House of Culture, built during the communist regime.

City tour (Mestská veža)

The Renaissance city tower was built in the 16th century. With the balcony at 29 meters in height, it offers a view of the entire city and its surroundings. It is connected to a small museum documenting the history of the city. A tourist information center is located at the base of the tower.

[email protected] to help you.” data-msg-btn-logout=”Login as different user” data-msg-btn-close=”Keep logged in” >